Friday, January 26, 2007

Capping the Wainscoting

This past week I have been wrestling with a twisted cap for the wainscoting. I think it added about 3 days to the entire project. Of course, these "days" consist of about 2-3 hours of work time. Last night I was finally able to make the attachment. I think I was able to straighten it out enough just by nailing on 3" centers and using a little muscle. I'm not sure if that is proper woodworkmanship. I'll let you be the judge:


Here's where the panel wainscoting project stands at this point. I still need to add the small corner moulding at the stiles, which will hopefully occur over the weekend.





5 comments:

Chris said...

That really is looking great. Don't suppose you want to come do my office up here when I get to it, do you? That look is pretty much exactly what I want to achieve.

You'll like it here, we have lots of...cows.

Joe said...

Chris- Thanks so much for the compliment. I've even surprised myself. Of course, I have a ways to go still.

You can do your office no problem. I think the trick is to have good tools and patience. I've heard having cows in the vincinity also helps.

Anonymous said...

That looks really nice. You may have talked about this in a post I missed, but I've been curious: what wood(s) are you using and what are your plans for finishing it--stain, shellac, wax, etc?

Greg said...

Looks good to me. nice work!

Joe said...

Paul-
Thank you. The wood I'm using for the baseboard, stiles, and other 3/4" thickness is vertical grain hemlock. The cap and corner mouldings (not installed yet) is style reproductions milled out from old timbers - most likely old growth douglas fir. The finish will be gloss white paint, to match the rest of the house.